Thursday, March 24, 2011

"The Day the Music Died" ~ Don McLean

I named this blog "A Song for Everything ..." for a couple of reasons. I've just always so loved to sing! Don't misunderstand, I'm not a good singer, not even close. In fact, there are those who would say I can barely carry a tune. Still, I've always loved music and I always sang.

Our boys, Jeffrey and Brian, said that I had a song for everything! I guess that's because I always did. I started singing to them from the first moment I held them in my arms. We began with rock and roll lullabyes every night at bed time, and progressed from there. It seemed that, no matter the situation, I could summon to mind a song that, with a few minor tweaks of the words, fit the occassion perfectly. They would usually express their extreme annoyance with me by shouting loudly, "MOM - don't sing!" That was just a momentary blip in the screen, though, and I would continue in song. What most agitated them was my answering their questions in melody. There was one song that they found particularly offensive ... a very old country & western titled "Because, Just Because." One or both of them would ask if they could have something or go somewhere or do something, and if it didn't feel right to me, I would say "No." Of course, then came the incessant questioning, "Why, Mom? Why? Why, Mom?" I'm certain that anyone reading this who is a Mother or a Father has just known in your heart that what your child was asking for or about, wasn't in the best interest of your child, so you, too, said "No" without having an answer to "why" that could be easily articulated. When that happened with the boys, I would sing "Because, Just Because ... " After a couple of times through the song, they knew that further questioning would get them nowhere, since, in spite of their protestations and begging, I just continued to sing over them. They made a trade-off ... it was better in their minds to have my singing stop, than it was to have or do whatever they asked about. In the end, we both came out on top!

But, when we lost our boys, I stopped singing out loud. Guess that was "The Day the Music Died" for me. Oh, I still love music and have so many songs in my heart and head. I just don't sing them aloud anymore. So, instead, I'm going to share them with you, if you will let me, and tell the stories I have learned over the last several years ... stories of hope, love and courage prevailing over seemingly insurmountable odds. And in so doing, I hope to light your torch with the one handed me by Jeffrey and Brian ... to make leukemia your enemy, just as it is mine and many, many others. You see, together, we can find a cure for leukemia, but there is so much work to be done. Will you help in the fight? Visit Jeffrey's Voice  to learn more about the devastating effects of leukemia and blood cancers and our mission to find a cure.

Here's the thing ... thinking that when we reach the day that the world is free of this wretched disease, I'll be singing at the top of my lungs!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You lit my torch and leukemia is my enemy. I'm with you in the fight! Can't wait for the day you can sing once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sue ... you are amazing! Together, we will find a cure.

    ReplyDelete